Last weekend, the island of Haiti was hit hard by not one, but two, natural disasters. On August 14th, a 7.2 magnitude earthquake shook the island killing over 1,900 people. Three days later, tropical storm Grace soaked the island, worsening conditions for the thousands displaced by the earthquake. The good news is that no matter how far you are from Haiti, you can still help those impacted by these disasters.
If you want to contribute to Haiti relief organizations efforts, here are some options for you:
Support the First Responders
Some major nonprofits are already on the ground offering their help, and many others are preparing to offer relief. UNICEF USA has already mobilized in Haiti and is providing aid to communities that have been hit the hardest by the earthquake and tropical depression. You can learn more about their work and make a gift here. Global Empowerment Mission has already deployed one ship full of supplies to Haiti and is continuing to raise funds to aid in their distribution efforts. You can support their efforts here.
Find the Helpers
Supporting nonprofits in their hurricane relief efforts helps tremendously with the relief effort. However, donors should take the time to make sure their support goes to legitimate relief organizations. Verify that the nonprofit you’re giving to is legitimate and trustworthy by searching for them on sites like Charity Navigator, GuideStar, or TEOS (tax-exempt organization search).
No matter how devastating a storm is, there are always people waiting to help. If you want to support a smaller nonprofit, here are some great options.
- Future Forward for Haiti works in the remote villages of Trois Mares, Chapottin, and St. Louis d’Ayiti. Their focus is on the well-being of children and families.
- Global Impact acts as an advisor, intermediary, and implementing partner across the private, nonprofit, and public sectors. Through these partnerships, Global Impact has raised nearly $2 billion for causes such as disaster relief and global development. You can support their Haiti relief fund here.
- Together for Haiti exists to train and provide resources for the Haitian people that will aid spiritual, economic, educational, and physical development. The nonprofit has already received requests for medical aid, food and shelter, as well as aid to help rebuild homes and businesses. You can support their work and give here.
- Hearts with Haiti works in partnership with St. Joseph Family, an organization that ministers to children and adults with disabilities in the Jacmel community. By donating to this organization, you can sponsor St. Joseph’s vulnerable residents. Learn more and donate here.
- Team Rubicon serves communities by mobilizing veterans to continue their service, leveraging their skills and experience to help people prepare, respond, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises. Team Rubicon already has boots on the ground in Haiti and is fundraising for their Ready Reserve Fund which enables them move quickly and respond to crises. You can make a gift to Team Rubicon’s Ready Reserve Fund here.
- I Clean Haiti operates to help restore and clean the island’s urban centers. This nonprofit is currently running an emergency fundraising campaign in the wake of the recent earthquake. You clean learn more about I Clean Haiti and donate to their emergency fund here.
Keep an Eye on This Page for Updates
As more and more nonprofits mobilize to send relief, supplies, and aid to those affected, we’ll update this list.