It’s nice to talk about fundraising in the abstract and offer up best practices and tips for making the most of your fundraising techniques and tactics, but sometimes it helps to have some numbers and figures thrown in with the abstractions.
Having said that, we’ve taken a look at some fundraising statistics that we think are very interesting and deserve to be brought to your attention.
Check out these amazing fundraising statistics.
General Fundraising Statistics
- 18% of Americans have said that supporting youth and family causes are most important to them.
- 12% said animals.
- 12% said medical research.
- 11% said education.
- 7% said disaster relief.
- 7% said human rights.
- 6% said the environment.
- 3% said global health.
- Men between the ages of 18 and 34 are more likely to make a charitable donation than any other group.
- 60% of millennials donate an average of $481 to nonprofits each year.
- Nearly three out of four young adults are willing to raise money on behalf of an organization that matters to them.
- The average American supports 4.5 charities.
- 69% of Americans give charitably.
- 72% of all donations are made by individuals.
- 15% are made by foundations.
- 8% are made through bequests.
- 5% are made by corporations.
- Individuals that earn $25,000 or less donate the largest share (16.6%) of their income to charity.
- 12% of all giving happens in the last three days of the year.
- Monthly donors give 42% more in one year than one-time donors.
- 88% of dollars raised comes from 12% of an organization’s donors.
- Giving is expected to increase by nearly 5% in 2016.
- Nonprofits process more donations between 10:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. EST than any other hour of the day.
Online Donation Statistics
- 47% of donors over the age of 60 give online.
- Online donors aged 55 to 64 are the most generous crowdfunders.
- 75% of young donors are turned off by out-of-date websites.
- Donations made on a branded donation form are, on average, 38% larger than contributions made through a generic PayPal page.
- Supporters are nearly 70% more likely to give a second donation if they used a branded page the first time they made a contribution.
- Online resources are considered 20% more useful than direct mail when it comes to influencing donors.
- 57% of people who watch nonprofit videos go on to make a donation.
- Donors are 34% more likely to give on responsive websites.
- For every 1,000 website visitors, a nonprofit raises $612.
- Mac users give an average of $182 per donation.
- PC users give an average of $137 per donation.
- Internet Explorer users give an average of $138 per donation.
- FireFox users give an average of $140 per donation.
- Chrome users give an average of $153 per donation.
- Safari users give an average of $168 per donation.
- Yahoo users give an average of $120 per donation.
Social Media Fundraising Statistics
- 74% of American internet users are on Facebook.
- 36% are on LinkedIn.
- 31% are on Pinterest.
- 22% are on Twitter.
- 18% are on Instagram.
- 11% are on SnapChat.
Mobile Fundraising Statistics
- 19.4% of nonprofit event registrations occur on mobile devices.
- 51% of people who visit a nonprofit’s website do so on a mobile device.
- Mobile-responsive donation pages yield 34% more donations.
- Apple devices like iPhones and iPads processed 80% of all mobile donations in past years.
- Text donors are most likely to be 49- to 59- year old, married women who have college degrees.
- 41% of Americans don’t have a landline.
- The average text-to-give donation is $107.
Email Fundraising Statistics
- Email has the highest return on investment of any marketing channel ($40 for every dollar spent!).
- For every 1,000 email subscribers, nonprofits have 285 Facebook fans, 112 Twitter followers, and 13 mobile subscribers.
- 16.6% of donors who support from an email are doing so on a mobile device.
- Open rates for nonprofit emails is between 15% and 17.5%.
- 27% of nonprofits spend less than $1,000 of their budget on marketing a year.
- The average one-time gift from email fundraising is $57. The average monthly gift is $20.
- Unique/Corporate/Other email users give an average of $165 per donation.
- Gmail users give an average of $143 per donation.
- AOL users give an average of $138 per donation.
- Hotmail users give an average of $128 per donation.