Giving Tuesday is a big deal for the fundraising community. For many nonprofits, Giving Tuesday is the most important giving day in their yearly fundraising calendar, and it takes time and careful planning to execute a successful Giving Tuesday campaign. To help you along your Giving Tuesday journey, we’ve collected the most helpful eBooks, how-to articles, multi-channel marketing templates, expert tips, ideas, tricks, and resources into this Giving Tuesday toolkit to make planning your campaign a breeze! This toolkit provides everything your organization needs to navigate Giving Tuesday from start to finish, saving your team time and money.
- What is Giving Tuesday?
- Giving Tuesday preparations
- Giving Tuesday communications
- Giving Tuesday donation forms
- Ways to celebrate Giving Tuesday
- Thanking your Giving Tuesday donors
What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday began in 2012 at the 92nd Street Y, a cultural and community center in Manhattan. Since its inception, Giving Tuesday has turned into a worldwide movement, championing radical generosity and encouraging donors to give—in ways big and small—in pursuit of making the world a better place. Giving Tuesday takes place on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. For many nonprofits, Giving Tuesday is an important giving day that marks the beginning of the year-end fundraising season.
Giving Tuesday preparations
With how important Giving Tuesday is for fundraisers, it’s best to plan for the giving day a couple months in advance. Use these resources to get a head start with your preparations:
- #GivingTuesday Ultimate Guide: Giving Tuesday is the biggest giving day of the year, so there’s a lot to keep in mind when preparing for it. The #GivingTuesday Ultimate Guide eBook has templates, calendars, and tips to help you get organized and make your Giving Tuesday a roaring success!
- Giving Tuesday Checklist: Plan for Greater Success: A solid, comprehensive plan sets the foundation for a successful Giving Tuesday. Don’t forget anything by creating a checklist! With our blog, learn how to set yourself up for success before, during, and after Giving Tuesday.
- 15+ Giving Tuesday Campaign Ideas (and Expert Tips) for 2023: For many nonprofits, Giving Tuesday marks the beginning of the year-end fundraising season. Kick things off with a great Giving Tuesday campaign that will wow your donors and get them excited about donating.
- Key End-of-Year Giving Trends: Giving Tuesday vs. December 31: Giving Tuesday isn’t the only important day for fundraising at the end of the year. December 31 is another big day for fundraisers that occurs only a month later. Learn more about end-of-year giving trends and how to maximize Giving Tuesday and December 31!
- GivingTuesday Prep: Everything You Need for 2023: Trends shift and change every year, and it’s important your nonprofit keeps up to increase your Giving Tuesday success. Kickstart your Giving Tuesday preparations with these ten tips!
- Resources from GivingTuesday: GivingTuesday wants organizations like yours to have a successful day of fundraising. Here are guides provided by GivingTuesday to help you prepare.
Giving Tuesday communications
With so much of Giving Tuesday happening online, your communications plan is crucial to your success. Check out these resources to create a cohesive Giving Tuesday communications strategy:
- Earn More Giving Tuesday Donations with Multi-Channel Marketing: The key to a successful Giving Tuesday campaign is ensuring people know it’s happening. The best way to spread the word is with multi-channel marketing! By using multiple channels to let people know about your Giving Tuesday fundraiser, you can make sure that you’ll reach more donors!
- Use a Text Giving Campaign for Giving Tuesday: A text giving campaign can help your nonprofit reach your donors anytime, anywhere–perfect for an on-the-go world. With a few well-crafted messages and a great keyword, you can start collecting donations via text in no time!
- How to Create a Giving Tuesday Video: Visuals are the best way to connect with your audience and motivate them to give. In fact, over half of donors who watch nonprofit videos go on to make a gift! Learn how to create your own Giving Tuesday video with our guide
- The Giving Tuesday Social Media Playbook: Social media is one of the most effective ways to reach your donors. With the Giving Tuesday Social Media Playbook blog series, you can learn how to leverage your social media to connect with your donors on Giving Tuesday.
- Design resources: When you’re making your communications plan, it’s important to ensure you have the right graphics for your campaign. Use these design resources to keep your visuals in line with your campaign.
- #GivingTuesday Save-the-Date Email Template: Give your donors plenty of time to prepare for Giving Tuesday with this save-the-date email template!
- #GivingTuesday Text Templates: Need help crafting the perfect text messages for your Giving Tuesday communications? These text templates can help you reach your donors and encourage them to give!
- #GivingTuesday Social Media Templates: Creating the right social media messaging isn’t easy. With these social media templates and a posting schedule, you can create a cohesive Giving Tuesday social media campaign.
- #GivingTuesday Email Templates: This Giving Tuesday, plan an engaging and comprehensive email fundraising campaign! These email templates can help you kick off your Giving Tuesday and keep the momentum going.
- ChatGPT Prompts for Nonprofits: Get Started Today [Samples]: ChatGPT is a great resource for nonprofits like yours for creating communication templates. Check out these prompts to kickstart your Giving Tuesday communications!
- Maximizing Giving Tuesday Donations: Best Ask Times: Want to reach your donors when they’re the most likely to give? Take a look at the best times to ask for donations on Giving Tuesday.
- How to Write a Nonprofit Press Release (with template): Press releases are a great way to raise attention for your Giving Tuesday campaign. Use this template to create the best press release for your organization!
- Facebook’s GivingTuesday Learning Lab: Facebook is a large part of many nonprofits’ Giving Tuesday strategies. Learn more about using Facebook for Giving Tuesday with their Learning Lab.
- 60+ Nonprofit Marketing Ideas That Get Results: Looking for some new marketing ideas for Giving Tuesday? Check out these nonprofit marketing ideas while planning your Giving Tuesday communications strategy!
- Year-End Fundraising With AI: Tools for Saving Time and Raising More This Giving Tuesday and Beyond: The end of the year is a busy time for fundraisers. Use technology to save time while planning your Giving Tuesday communication with artificial intelligence tools.
Giving Tuesday donation forms
A good donation form helps entice donors into giving to your organization. Use these resources to optimize your donation form for Giving Tuesday:
- Donation Form Best Practices: 10 Ways to Improve the Online Donation Experience: Your donation form is one of your most important assets for fundraising. Ensuring that your donors have a great donation experience is key to getting them to come back and make more gifts in the future. Keeping these best practices in mind while you create your donation form can help you raise more on Giving Tuesday!
- How to Create Donation Forms That Convert: 5 Tips: Getting your donors to your online donation form is just half the battle. Once they’ve reached your page, you have to convince them to make a gift. Learn how to create donation forms that improve your conversion rates and help you raise more!
- Designing Donation Forms to Reduce Decision Fatigue: Decision fatigue is a huge impediment to getting your donors to make a donation. Keep things simple and streamline the donation process by using these tips on your donation forms!
- Donation Form Widget: Embed A Donation Form on Your Website: When you embed your donation form on your website, your donors are 2.4x more likely to donate to your organization. Learn how to use a donation form widget to encourage your donors to give!
- How to Show Visual Impact on Your Online Donation Forms: Visual storytelling is key to any good fundraising strategy. By adding pictures and videos to your donation form on Giving Tuesday, you can show your donors why their gifts matter and how they can make a difference, making them more likely to support your mission!
- 5 Steps to Optimize Your Online Donation Forms: Is your donation form helping or hurting your campaign? Look at these five steps to ensure your donation form is optimized for Giving Tuesday.
- Are Multistep or Single-Step Donation Forms Better for Nonprofits?: It’s important to know what the best format for your donation form is. Learn whether a multi-step or single-step form is better for your Giving Tuesday donation form!
Ways to celebrate Giving Tuesday
Giving Tuesday is more than a social media campaign. Here are a few ideas to liven up your Giving Tuesday campaign:
- Events: While Giving Tuesday is often focused on social media, hosting an event can entice your supporters to celebrate Giving Tuesday with you! Here are a few event ideas.
- Giving Tuesday auction
- Movie night
- Talent show
- Scavenger hun
- Volunteer activities: Not everyone can give financially on Giving Tuesday, but your supporters can still donate their time. Be sure to provide them with plenty of volunteer activities. Consider one of these volunteer events to motivate your supporters.
- Supply drive
- Trash pickup
- Garage sale
- Rescue animal playday
- Hashtag campaigns: Get your supporters to help you with your Giving Tuesday marketing campaign by hosting a hashtag challenge! Here are some tips for your Giving Tuesday hashtag campaign.
- Use a simple hashtag
- Keep it relevant
- Make it shareable
- Add the Giving Tuesday hashtag
- Repost your supporters’ contributions
- Livestreams: Livestreams are a great way to interact with your donors throughout Giving Tuesday. Plus, livestreaming sends out notifications to your followers, reminding them of the day. Here are a few ideas to include in your livestream.
- Show your fundraising thermometer
- Give campaign updates
- Answer donor questions
- Give a tour of your organization
- Invite experts to talk about your cause
- Sharing stories: Storytelling is a helpful method to motivate your donors to give to your Giving Tuesday campaign. By showing them where their money is going, donors will better understand why their donations are so important. Use these tips to tell effective stories throughout your giving day.
- Invoke an emotional connection
- Provide context
- Use images and videos
- Be authentic
- Make it active
Thanking your Giving Tuesday donors
Stewardship is one of the main aspects of retaining new donors. Take a look at these resources to show your donors your appreciation:
- How to Send a Heartfelt Giving Tuesday Thank You to Donors: Once the clock strikes midnight and Giving Tuesday has come to an end, your job isn’t over quite yet. Thanking your donors will help you build strong connections and keep them engaged. Learn how to send a thank you to your donors that will make them feel appreciated!
- Creative Ways to Thank Your Donors: Wondering how you can spice up those thank-you emails to your donors? Need help brainstorming fresh ways to show your gratitude to your supporters? Check out these creative ideas to thank your donors in ways they won’t soon forget!
- Use Video Thank-Yous to Show Donors a Little Extra Love: Visual storytelling doesn’t just apply to your donation forms and your website. Show a little extra appreciation to your donors with a thank-you video! Videos are a great way to show your donors the impact of their donations and turn them into long-term supporters of your mission.
- 6 Ways to Customize Your Thank-You Page: There’s almost nothing worse than showing your donors a generic thank-you page after they complete their donation. Take the opportunity to spread the love, show impact, and keep the gratitude flowing with customized thank-you pages!
- 3 Ways to Retain Giving Tuesday Donors in the New Year: On Giving Tuesday, one of your main goals should be to reach new donors and spread the word about your mission. However, once Giving Tuesday has come and gone, focusing on building long-term relationships with donors both new and old should be top of mind! Learn how to create a stronger donor cultivation cycle and retain your Giving Tuesday donors beyond Giving Tuesday!
- How to Thank and Retain Year-End Donors: Turn those one-time year-end donors into long-term friends of your organization for years to come. Use these tips and tricks to fine-tune your retention strategy for the new year!
- The Lucrative Art of Thanking Donors: Donor appreciation is both an art and a science. Check out these appreciation strategies to help show your Giving Tuesday donors some love!
- Donor Stewardship: Create Lifelong Donors in 6 Steps: To properly steward your donors, it’s important to know where they are in their donor lifecycle. Use these six steps to turn your Giving Tuesday donors into lifelong supporters.
The last three months of the year are when 37% of all giving happens, and Giving Tuesday is one of the main giving days fundraisers like you use to hit your end-of-year goals. With this Giving Tuesday toolkit, you’ll be well on your way to designing dynamic donation forms and engaging communications for Giving Tuesday. Happy fundraising!